Wednesday, April 6, 2011

The Reading Writer


Short post today, I'm not feeling well. :(

I've always been an avid reader, really it's like a drug addiction. But in these last few years as I've become more serious about writing, I've noticed that my reading experience has really been affected.

Often when reading a story, my mind keeps shifting out of "reader mode" and going back into "Writer mode." I find myself rewriting the author's sentences in my head, disagreeing with the validity of the premise, freezing in place and thinking "This sounds like one of mine!" then reading on, sighing in relief thinking, "Oh good, it's not. They did it differently."

Sometimes I enjoy that because it makes reading a great learning experience, but sometimes it drives me crazy. I miss the days when I could pick up a book and it would be a world between the pages, not a story I KNOW someone labored over.

Does this happen to you too? How does your writing affect your reading?


4 comments:

  1. I don't think I can read a book without putting on the "author/writer" hat- red pen in hand some days- great post
    Dawne P

    ReplyDelete
  2. So far, if the book is good then it takes me away into the story. I don't pick at the writing. But if the book is not good, I tear it apart. I determine why it wasn't working. How they could have done it better. How I would have done it.

    The bar of what I think is good and not good is getting set higher. So I worry that I won't be able to enjoy a book because I spend so much time writing. I'd hate that. I love reading. Thankfully, there are a lot of great writers out there who can still take me on that journey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the understanding and the inclusion of positivity. I was worried my post was too negative. (Had a rough night).

    Anyway, yes indeed the bar has climbed in my reading standards. I think that's why I reread old favorites so much. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I find that I can't read in the category I'm writing in. For instance, if I'm writing a paranormal romance, I shy away from reading paranormal romance. I have no clue why I do this, I'm just grateful I read in a wide variety of categories.

    ReplyDelete