Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Preparations for RT Part 1





Holy wow, you guys! In less than a month, I'll be going to the RT Booklover's Convention in New Orleans, Louisiana! I am beyond excited because not only have I always wanted to attend this exciting convention that all of my favorite authors and book people tweet about every year, but I've wanted to visit NOLA since reading my first Anne Rice novel.
 
I am beyond excited to finally meet all the authors I've gotten to know in print and online. I'm excited to meet my editors and publisher. I'm excited and overawed at the prospect of meeting readers who can't wait to meet me. I'm excited to see New Orleans and eat Cajun and Creole food explore the city.
 
I'm also scared shitless.
 
For one thing, I've never traveled. Hell, I've never flown in my adult life.
For another, I have an anxiety disorder that is triggered by crowds and loud noises. I take medication for it, so I should be okay.
 
And as the date of my trip races forward, I'm counting off the things I need to get and do to prepare. The fabulous Shana Galen shared this awesome link with me to a guide for RT Virgins. I'm definitely going to follow some of the advice and make myself a "guideline" agenda and bring sharpies.
 
However this link didn't cover the other things I'm going to need.
 
Things like...
 
A purse. Seriously, you guys, I'm a 31 year old woman and I don't own a damn purse. WTF is wrong with me? I'm going to get myself a giant monstrosity to fit all my books n' stuff.
 
Make up. I've been fairly socially isolated for awhile. I think all my makeup is expired.
 
A big luggage thingie. Thankfully, a friend is going to loan me one.
 
A reasonable mix of formal and casual clothes.
 
Pens. I cannot remind myself enough. We're talking about someone who forgot to bring a pen to her own book signing.
 
Medication and toiletries.
 
My laptop. I'm going to have to be able to write and tweet too. :)
 
A few copies of my books, business cards, and bookmarks. I'm not officially participating in any author events this year, but that doesn't mean I won't have goodies for a few readers. :)
 
Whew!
 
I know there's probably a bunch of stuff I'm missing so if any of you have suggestions, please feel free to chime in!
 
Next week I'll be focusing on my tentative plan/ schedule for things I'll do and attend at the conference. 

No comments:

Post a Comment