Saturday, January 18, 2014

Why I've Decided to Become a Hybrid Author



Wrenching Fate was my 2nd novel and first big learning experience. Even though my third novel, BITE ME, YOUR GRACE, ended up being the book that launched my career, WRENCHING FATE, unlike other trunked projects, refused to leave my mind. So between working on other novels I continued to play with it, revise it, send it to beta readers and critique partners, revise it again, and repeat.
 
I eventually landed an agent with it, however, like all the agents who passed on it, he knew that it would be a tough sell. When editors see "Vampire" these days, it's an automatic "no."
 
But I couldn't stop dreaming of the characters in that series.
 
And when the release date for my 2nd historical paranormal romance series was delayed, to the dejection of my readers, I made the decision (With my agent's blessing) to release WRENCHING FATE into the wild.
 
I am not doing it for the money. Lord knows paranormal is a crowded market.
 
I am doing it for the readers. For all of you who have been eagerly anticipating my next book. For you who want something to tide you over until ONE BITE PER NIGHT comes out. For those of you who've already read this story and loved it.
 
I am also doing it to gain new knowledge and new experience, and, WOW, I have indeed learned a ton about how to prepare to self-publish. It definitely isn't "at the push of a button," no matter what some say. Not if you're going to put out a quality product anyway.
 
The book's not even out yet and already it's been a lot of hard work. I doubt I'd be able to handle doing more than one of these a year and I have no idea how self-pubbed authors who put out multiple books a year handle it.
 
Therefore, I am content to be a hybrid author and leave most of my books with a publisher, editors, and marketing team.
 
So to my historical paranormal romance readers, don't worry. I won't be abandoning that genre anytime soon.
 
In the meantime, wish me luck on this venture and maybe check out WRENCHING FATE



 "Silas McNaught, Lord Vampire of Coeur d’Alene, Idaho is elated when he finds Akasha Hope, the woman his psychic visions revealed to him centuries ago.

To his surprise, Akasha is infuriated when Silas interferes with her life. Furthermore, she is nothing like the sweet woman he’d envisioned. Not only is she a foul mouthed mechanic, she is also the accidental result of a military experiment with the strength of ten men….and government agents are looking for her. 

Matters are further complicated when Silas’s vindictive ex lover spurs the Elders to investigate Silas in hopes to destroy Akasha and gain control of her friends, which are the key to an 
otherworldly prophecy. 

As government conspiracies and vampire politics collide, Silas teaches Akasha the meaning of trust…and love."

No comments:

Post a Comment