Thursday, June 28, 2012

Why I don't follow you on Twitter

Dave Mustaine is my all time favorite guitarist, but I don't follow him 'cuz he's doing it wrong.


1.) Spammers: If you do nothing but tout some product you're obviously being paid to advertise...this includes some self published authors, you're nothing but obnoxious noise to me.

2.) Trolls: No one wants to follow someone who picks asinine arguments just for the hell of it.

3.) Nothing but links: A.) I despise redundancy. B.) It makes me think you have no personality.


4.) Never replies:  This is usually an issue with higher profile people, celebrities, authors, etc. But many high profile people still are willing to converse with the lesser folk, so why bother following those who don't? Then there's those people who seem to think they're all that and only converse with their cliques. Either way, not worth clogging my feed.


5.) Nothing but retweets: As with #3, these are people who have no personality of their own. Worse, they seem to be attempting to make themselves look cool by piggy-backing off of the charm (or lack thereof) of others. I have no problem with retweeting something funny, useful, or interesting, but I do have issues with people who mindlessly RT people like an insidious echo.


6.) Talks only about self...especially if it's boring: I don't care about your latest bowel movement or where you're shopping. But...though some people bitch about tweets on who's eating what for dinner, I like those...if you share the recipe. I know I do! Food is good in reasonable increments. But I'm on twitter for conversations, not to read personal to-do lists.


7.) Combinations of any of the above: And here's where Mega-Dave Mustaine comes in. He may be one of the greatest guitar players to ever walk the earth. He may be hella cute. But Dave Mustaine does not know how to use twitter. He updates where he is and what he's doing and posts links and RTs...but only when they have to do with his band. I tried following him for awhile and he NEVER conversed with anyone. So, as much as I adore him and his music, I don't follow him on twitter.


4 comments:

  1. Your site LOOKS AWESOME! You've been busy.

    I love this. I don't know why more people don't consider the uses of social networking. It's not to advert down someone's throat. jeesh. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great list and agree with all your reasons.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally agree! I know I can get whinny on social media, the temptation is far too great at times, but I have dropped people from my news feed because they ONLY plug their work, someone else's quotes, or constantly RT what others say. It is not fun and gets to be a drag. BTW, I dropped my favorite athlete of all time for the same reason: nothing interesting to say. So sad.

    Great post and look how AWESOME your page is! It is enough to make me want to abuse exclamation marks! Just two though. :D

    ReplyDelete